Pages

Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Get 'em Cookin'


So my 2-year old eats just about anything.  Well, I say that, but it's not really true.  She doesn't like saucy things or dips, and can be pretty picky about things like tacos, but then again she's 2.  She does however eat carrots (doesn't every kid?), radishes, bell pepper, mushrooms, broccoli, cauliflower, onion, tomato, green beans, peas, celery, etc.  Not cooked mind you, raw.  She LOVES spaghetti sauce, tuna casserole, spanish rice, roast, steak, chicken, eggs, bacon and the typical kid stuff.  My point in telling all of this non-essential information is that I completely attribute her eating habits to the fact that she cooks with me constantly.  I know that I started cooking with her in a chair at the sink when she was about a year old, but it wasn't until I was pregnant with the twins that I made sure everytime I was in the kitchen she was too (this replaced some of our floor time because mommy couldn't get down and up very well!)  What's unbelievable to me is that so many people think that it's not a good idea or too messy to have a toddler in the kitchen with them.  You would not believe the comments I get on the "Cooking with Karlie" photo I have posted.  So many people think that she is way to young to be helping, or I might let a knife get in her way, or I'm just letting her create a big mess.  My response to that is "What?  I'm not an idiot that gives her knives, and my floor could use some extra wiping anyway - it's my floor, get over it.  And my kid can crack eggs, stir things together, knows all the fruits and veggies mommy cooks with, and she practices counting on a daily basis."  Now, don't get me wrong, you've got to be QUICK with the egg thing, and yes I do have to mop up the floor everyday, but who cares?  In the meantime, I have a little girl who is well on her way to being not only a good eater, but I have a very special bond with my daughter already that I can only hope will continue through the years.

No comments:

Post a Comment