Pages

Thursday, June 24, 2010

Venting

I just got off the phone with a woman at the doctor's office, and she made THE comment.  THE comment that I hear every time I go anywhere with all the babies from total strangers.  THE comment that everyone loves to laugh and joke about at family gatherings.  THE comment that makes me want to scream in my head - "Shut the hell up, and just think for 2 seconds!!!" 

What is THE comment?  WOW, all girls.  Don't you know how to get a boy?.......or some variation of the same.

We had a boy.  Our second child was a boy.  He didn't make it.  Liam.  Liam Friedrick was 100% boy and didn't live long enough to even know what it was to take a breath in this world.  He didn't live long enough to know pain, loss, humiliation, frustration, etc. 

He knew he was loved, and that is how you deal with that loss. 

I don't blame strangers, but for those who do know, it tends to bother me.  I understand that people forget things, but for goodness sake....do we have to have the same conversation every single time?

I'm not "hung up" on our loss - for lack of better words.  God blessed us multiple times with our children.  They are happy and healthy, and perhaps they wouldn't all be so if I had 4 children aged 3 and under.  Maybe they would.  We will never know. 

I'm just tired of THE comment.  I don't need to be reminded, I think about Liam all the time.  Maybe I should remind other people. 

I don't know how to handle it.

No comments:

Post a Comment